Neilans

This Blog is actually just an excuse for me to have a place to post a few of my myriad and always growing collection of photos! And, a way to keep my family and friends up to date on our activities.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Just Checking In

I just wanted to let everyone know I'm still here, alive and kickin', if not bloggin'.

I was in Florida by myself for about three weeks, concentrating on writing the book I started 11 years ago. I have found that I can't write at home during my normal socially busy days, and there are a lot of distractions when I am trying to think. Hmm, do I think I'm different than anyone else? No, just less disciplined.

I know that successful writers often sit down and pound out so many words or chapters or pages every day before lunch, or whatever, but my brain is too fragmented for that.

Florida worked for me quite well. I spent about three days more or less emptying my mind while getting mentally back into the place where my story takes place. Then I spent a week or so writing notes by hand on 4X6 index cards, writing as the thoughts came into my head. No set schedule, no regular meals or activities. Productive time, I think.

Then, finally, I began putting it together in paragraphs and chapters on the computer. I had already done about 60 pages (gee, that's not very much, is it?) and while in our "villa" in Florida I did 70 more. I was on a roll, but had to stop and come on back home for my "real" life for a while.

Perhaps I can get the rest of it done here, or perhaps I will go again to my retreat. But I WILL get it done eventually ... and sooner rather than later.!

It is a story about my Mother and my siblings, and either other people will enjoy reading it or they won't ... but I will have accomplished a long-standing goal.

After it is all written down, I will still have lots of work to do on it, editing and correcting grammar and making sure it makes sense (the hardest part). Then who knows how it will get printed and published.

By the way, no photos in the book. That's a big change for me, 'cause I usually lean heavily on my pictures to tell my stories.

So, when you don't hear from me for a long period, hopefully that means I'm actually getting some work done!

2 Comments:

  • At 10:41 PM, Blogger Tracy said…

    Good for you! It sounds like your book is coming along, and when you finish it I know you will feel a real sense of accomplishment.

     
  • At 12:04 AM, Blogger Team Sharma said…

    I'm looking for some fun filled updates in the near future now that you are back home.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home